Here you are. Reading the crazy, insightful ramblings of our life. So who are we anyways? Rob, Amber and Louis. We’re the Remarks. A couple of lovers, parents, just trying to make it through this thing called life together, while taking some time to enjoy the ride. I’m a teacher, and Rob is an architect (… well, working towards being one). We laugh more than I thought possible, and life feels like one constant adventure. So jump on our train for a while, and ride along with us. Maybe you’ll learn a thing or two, maybe you’ll laugh, or maybe you’ll shed a few tears. Whatever it is, I hope you feel somehow connected to the Remarks.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

T'was the Night Before School

A new year. New beginnings. A fresh start. These words ring so true every year at this time. Brand new pencils. Fully stocked notebooks. Fresh, undamaged folders. Children that are eager to learn. It's hard to not feel the buzz in the air at this time of year from all the anticipation that comes with back-to-school. One of my favorite annual memories of growing up was the day that my parents would take off a day of work (both of them, I love that in an of itself, but that's a whole nother conversation) and we would go get all our yearly check ups. We'd hit up the eye doctor, the doctor, the dentist...

I know what you're thinking, "That sounds like a nightmare!"  But it wasn't. Because after all those scary and lousy and not fun appointments we got to spend the rest of the day as a family back-to-school shopping. We'd have a family lunch together, hit up Target for all the year's supplies, and then we'd get equipped with brand new clothes and brand new shoes and we'd feel like new people ready to take on the year. I did at least. And this memory is so prevalent to me because that day was so important in my life to help me prepare for the upcoming school year. To help get me into "go" mode. And for the next few weeks I could barely contain the excitement that came with back to school and this time of year.

But then the night before school hit. And all that excitement was filled with pure fear. I got nervous. So nervous, in fact, that I remember not sleeping. And then I would head to school the next day and Mom and Dad would drop me off, and I would put on a smiling face... Until I walked in the building and the butterflies filled my stomach. And the anxiety was so strong every year that I can still remember it to this day.

Fast forward 15 years... Here I sit the night before school. I just met my little ones. I just saw all their nervous and excited and smiling faces... And I'm nervous. And I'm scared. And I'm terrified. And I wonder why in the world I chose a career where I have to experience those same feelings that I hated so much back then, year after year.

But I'm so glad I did. Because along with all the same nervous, anxious feelings I felt so long ago I feel so excited and so blessed to begin this year with all these new kiddos! It's going to be a whirlwind, and a crazy year but I know it will be a great one.

{I also feel so grateful that I can relate to those little ones who are coming into my classroom who may be experiencing the same feelings}

So my clothes are laid out and ready, my nerves are high, and I probably won't sleep much tonight, but I'm still convinced teaching is one of the greatest jobs.

Here's to another {great} year.

Also received this adorable card from my principal. Such a thoughtful woman. Such a nice card.

No comments:

Post a Comment