Here you are. Reading the crazy, insightful ramblings of our life. So who are we anyways? Rob, Amber and Louis. We’re the Remarks. A couple of lovers, parents, just trying to make it through this thing called life together, while taking some time to enjoy the ride. I’m a teacher, and Rob is an architect (… well, working towards being one). We laugh more than I thought possible, and life feels like one constant adventure. So jump on our train for a while, and ride along with us. Maybe you’ll learn a thing or two, maybe you’ll laugh, or maybe you’ll shed a few tears. Whatever it is, I hope you feel somehow connected to the Remarks.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Remade

Moving into a new house is a really cool feeling. It's a blank slate. An empty place filled with possibilities. The DIY home improvement projects don't exist (until you want to finish that unfinished basement), little things aren't falling apart, or breaking. It's refreshing. It feels sophisticated. Grown up. Real life. Scary.

As we moved our furniture into our home, some of it felt just a bit out of place. It was 1980's in a 2014 house. The stain didn't match, it was old mixed with new. We knew our budget wouldn't allow for the purchase of any new furniture for quite some time- so we had to get creative.

Que DIY furniture. In total homesteader mode, I was motivated to take on any new project. So for the first time in my life, I whipped out a sander, some tools, fresh stain, fresh paint, lacquer, and the painting clothes and I took to redoing our table. I loved every second of it. Seeing the transformation take place was so fulfilling, fun and motivating. And I'm encouraged by how easy it actually was.

The wood clashed with the cabinets and the floor, the red clashed with our yellow stools. It was a mess.

And the finished product. Matching the dark wood of the floor and cabinets, and working with the yellow stools in our kitchen.

Here is a side by side comparison.

I sense a lot of furniture remaking in my future!

2 comments: